Sweet Potato Kale Sheet Pan Dinner
This contrast of textures is a party in your mouth and offers up the warm colours of fall but easily enjoyed year round. The lemony kale is a perfect marriage with the turmeric scented sweet potato. Easily change up the beans to what you have available in your kitchen.
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 lb/454 g), scrubbed
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground turmeric
- 3 cups (500 mL) kale leaves, stems removed
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked black beans
- Plus oil, salt, and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Cut sweet potatoes into 1-inch (2.5-cm) chunks and place in a large bowl.
- Using a rasp, remove 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of zest from lemon and add to sweet potatoes along with turmeric. Cut lemon in half and squeeze out enough juice for 1 tbsp (15 mL); set aside.
- Drizzle sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper. Spread onto prepared baking sheet and roast in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Massage kale with lemon juice and pinch each salt and pepper. Add kale leaves to sweet potato on baking sheet and return to oven for 8 minutes or until sweet potatoes are golden and tender and kale is crisp. Stir in beans.
- Divide among 2 large shallow bowls to serve.
Per 1/2 of the Recipe – Calories: 410 cal, Protein: 14 grams, Fat: 9 grams, Carbohydrate: 71 grams, Fibre: 15 grams, Sugars: 13 grams, Sodium: 480 mg